Be the Change, Learn More, and Get Involved! Resources for more Information, Political Action, and Direct Service
Our list of resources is a work in progress because we’d like to include, mainly local, but also a few national and international organizations for direct services and policy influence. In fighting for the peace and freedom of our communities, it is fundamental that all people have access to basic human services. We want this page to be a place where members can get familiar with agencies on the local level, either as a directory for people who may be in need of services, or because you or someone you know may want to get involved or collaborate with them!
Feel free to contact us about organizations that aren’t on the list – we don’t know everything (but we’d like to), so we can add them to the page. And check back often as this page gets longer and longer!
Gender-based Violence, Human Trafficking, and Women’s Empowerment
- Dane County Rape Crisis Center
- Counseling, legal and medical advocacy, 24/hr Helpline in Spanish and English
- Domestic Abuse Intervention Services:
- Provides shelter, legal advocacy, safety planning, 24/hr Helpline
- End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin:
- For advocates, survivors and allies, End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin is the only statewide coalition led by social policy advocates, attorneys and experts working to support, connect, equip, empower and lead organizations for social change to end domestic abuse because everyone deserves dignity and safety.
- End Violence on Campus (EVOC):
- Members provide support and multidisciplinary feedback to staff members, campus units, and community offices in order to share knowledge of relevant laws and reporting expectations for UW-Madison, strengthen campus procedures, practices, and policies regarding gender-based violence, sexual assault and harassment, dating violence, and stalking.
- Infamous Mothers
- Provides personal and professional development for mothers who mother from the margins of society, programming around narrative-changing, self care, and legacy-making, presentations and workshops for employers, churches, organizations – anyone wanting to support the mission and contribute to changing the narrative.
- Meriter FNE Program:
- Formerly the SANE program, FNE Nurses are on staff in the Meriter ER 24hrs/7 days a week providing emotional support, physical examination and wellness check, collection of medical-forensic evidence, assistance with reporting the crime to police, when requested (mandatory reporting for children), assistance with concerns about sexually transmitted infection and pregnancy, assistance with safety planning, and development of a medical follow-up plan
- SlaveFree Madison:
- A community action group that promotes awareness about modern-day slavery and advocates cooperative community responses to reduce the incidence of human trafficking in Dane County. We bridge knowledge with action. Our focus is local. Our awareness is global.
- Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment (PAVE) UW:
- Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment (PAVE) is a student organization dedicated to preventing sexual assault, dating violence and stalking through education and activism. We reach out to students through our interactive peer education workshops, campus outreach events, and awareness raising campaigns.
- UNIDOS Against Domestic Violence:
- UNIDOS exists to empower the latinx community to break the cycle of domestic violence, end sexual assault and promote healthy family systems.
- University Health Services
- Services for students include information and referrals, emotionally supportive counseling and case management, support groups, advocacy, and accompaniments
- Wisconsin Women’s Network:
- Promoting the advancement of women and girls in Wisconsin through expanding conversations, actions, examining intersections through communication, advocacy, and connections, and combating racial, socioeconomic, and gender inequalities.
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services:
- Directs reader to data, publications, and resources regarding sexual assault
- Wisconsin Department of Justice:
- Provides Crime Victim Compensation Fund, and grants for social service organizations looking to fund services for survivors of sexual assault
- Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault (WCASA):
- WCASA is a membership agency comprised of organizations and individuals working to end sexual violence in Wisconsin. Among these are the 56 sexual assault service provider (SASP) agencies throughout the state that offer support, advocacy and information to victims of sexual assault and their families.
- YW Transit/Sexual Assault Prevention Rideline:
- Rideline number: 608-316-6888
- Zonta Club of Madison:
- An international organization whose local group is a network of local professionals who meet once a month (September – May) to collectively plan activities which support service and advocacy projects, fundraising, and educating the public through community awareness programs.
Housing, Shelter, and Breaking the Cycle of Poverty
- The Salvation Army of Dane County:
- Homeless Single Women and Family Shelter w/ case management
- YWCA Madison:
- Low-income housing and 45-day shelter on site, housing first programs, case management, job skills training, restorative justice, and driver’s license recovery programs at Empowerment Center location
- The Road Home:
- Low-income housing programs and case management
- Safe Haven:
- Emergency Housing, eviction prevention, and services for veterans
- The Beacon:
- Day Resource center for anyone experiencing homelessness, organizes Coordinated Entry to housing programs in Madison
- MadCity Homeless Resource Guide:
- Online homeless resource list
- Dane County Job Center:
- Provides workshops and resources for job seekers and employers
- The United Way of Dane County:
- Fights for the education, financial stability, and health of everyone in Dane County through advocacy, community-building, data collection, and a variety of direct services.
- 2-1-1 is 24/hr helpline to get involved with more personalized services for almost any need
- Legal Action of Wisconsin:
- Provides legal representation and advocacy for people navigating laws for housing, family, disability, farm, elderly, veteran, tax, and consumer rights
- Every Tuesday, all day, they provide free eviction defense legal advice and representation
Immigration and Refugee Services
- Centro Hispano
- Provides help in applying for Permanent Residency, Citizenship, Work Permits, Status Adjustments, and Deferred Action through the US Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS) as well as finding public defenders, translators, housing, and employment.
- Community immigration Law Clinic
- Free immigration consultation clinics through the Christ Presbyterian Church
- DANE Sanctuary Coalition
- Jewish Social Services of Madison:
- Helps with immigration services, refugee resettlement, advocacy, case management, and Jewish spiritual care
- Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan:
- Helps with resettlement, including initial housing, food, clothing, school enrollment for children, English lessons, and assistance with job placement.
- MMG Law LLC:
- Family-run immigration law office
- RISE Law Center/Centro Legal RISE:
- Provides representation to immigrants and refugees in immigration and family law, as well as protection orders.
- Voces de la Frontera
- Offers legal and DACA renewal assistance, and English and citizenship classes
- Wisconsin Network for Peace and Justice (WNPJ)
- WNPJ works in collaboration with other organizations for Wisconsin’s 21st Century Sanctuary Movement, providing a toolkit for those wanting to get involved, and bilingual resources and trainings for immigrants and allies to the sanctuary movement.
- Worker Justice Wisconsin/Centro de Derechos del Trabajador
- Worker Justice Wisconsin builds collective worker power through training, labor rights education, collective action and community engagement with an emphasis on interfaith involvement + special focus on labor justice in Madison Latinx communities through the Latino Workers’ Project
South Center Wisconsin Move to Amend Resource Page
National WILPF Resource Page
International WILPF Resource Page